Tuesday 9 February 2010

I believe in helping the others




Before last semester, my focus was primarily about me. I believed that everything I do will bring about a good experience and will help me reach maturation. My family spent huge amount of money to provide me with good quality of education, to have an entertaining life, and to feel fulfilled. Everything I wished for was accomplished, and I never had to struggle in order to get it; life was easy. Obviously, I was an I_IT personality who was self-centered and selfish.

I was like the sea snail conserved in my shell. I didn’t care much about disasters that happen to poor people like poverty, illiteracy and sickness. The matter never caught my attention because I believed that everyone should live their real life or their shell, and low class problems were far from my real world. I was shallow, and I didn’t help people that much. Even when my mother used to ask me to give charity in terms of money or even old clothes, I gave only old clothes that I lost interest in.

When I was assigned to visit an orphanage once a week by my psychology doctor last semester, I thought that I was going to fulfill my duty by teaching them and sharing some of my experiences. Surprisingly they were the ones who taught me the real meaning of life. And that was the time when I got out of my shell.
I learned that the greatest satisfaction in life is the gratification you receive after helping others. It is when you go beyond yourself to think about others and put them in your current and future plans and not only the self. The feeling of giving is way better than the feeling of having.

Now I believe that God didn’t give me money, education and potential in order to keep them for self use, but to use them for the service of the poor to make the world a better place.
At last, I believe that every person on earth search for meaning of life, some find it in work, others in love. What gives me meaning the most is helping people.

No comments:

Post a Comment