Tuesday 23 March 2010

Project four: Interview with Dr. Nada Ismaeil





One of the people I respect the most is Doctor Nada Ismaeil, a television studio workshop doctor at the American University in Cairo.

I am taking this course with her this semester. Although I don’t know her quite well, the past two months were very interesting for me for several aspects. The main ones is that I got to know all the matters related to television from her, and I got to understand how work is in reality since she is a very experienced person.

I respected her even more after making this interview with her. Working ever since she was sixteen shows how embitious she was at that time.

Background:

Graduated in 2001, Dr Nada Ismaeil majored in mass communication specialized in broadcasting and minored in political science and environmental studies. She did Adham center masters in journalism broadcasting.

Dr Ismaeil thought she was going to work in the news for life so she worked at the National Broadcasting Company (NBC). Her work was to follow up with other news channels coverage of the event of the Iraq-American conflict 24 hours a day. It was when she decided to quit this job and work off camera rather than on camera.

Right after her quit, a new job was offered from MBC as a producer, this time for game show. It was her first time to be a producer for a show, and felt scared that she was responsible for this producing something for the MBC especially that the game show was going to be viewed in Ramadan and during the prime time. Yet the channel encouraged her to complete her task and assisted her till she succeeded with the production matter and the show was fine. Since then, Dr Ismaeil had been working with MBC as a producer free lance, and did several productions such as The Green Apple, several cook shows, game shows and other events. She also worked with Al Jazeera were she did several documentaries. Besides the Pyramid show done on the Egyptian channels.

During this period after graduation, Dr Ismaeil was in contact with the Adham Center, offering new graduates job offers as she believed that AUC students have special qualifications, skills and capabilities that are missing in the market.

When the new course 'Television Studio Workshop' was established, the Adham center asked Dr. Ismaeil to teach this course last fall due to her wide knowledge and experience in the field. At first, she felt she was not able to do this, but after several meetings she began to like the idea and she decided on the syllabus and everything else related to the course. And because everything was set, she continued to teach it this semester as well.

I believe that Dr. Nada Ismaeil has great potentials and skills that are enabling her to reach success. And I hope that she will achieve all her goals in the future.

The script:

Good morning :)

Good morning :D

How is your day so far? :)

I've been running since the morning, I slept very late because of my work and I woke up very early for this job, but it is ok, after I arrive here at AUC and on time more or less Iam ok.

<em>Can you give me a little background about you?

I studied Mass Communication specialized in broadcasting at AUC and I did some minor studies in political science and environmental studies. I graduated in 2001. I have done the Adham center masters for journalism broadcasting and I finished in 2003.

I've started working way before I graduated, when I was sixteen or something like this, started writing as a free lancer for some magazines, and I was doing small jobs like teaching english for children.

I was completely independent since then just to support myself. And when I was nineteen or twenty, I got a job at NBC news. I was working at the bureau here in Cairo. It was the first well paid job I've ever had, the first real job I think.I've always thought I wanted to work in news, maybe a news anchor. But then getting in to news at NBC, I quit in 2003 when the Americans got in to Iraq because it was destressing following the news everyday. My job was to monitor twenty four hours a day, how was the big networks in the Middle East states covering the news. So I saw several conflicts, got stressed and decided to quit the news and work in Television production in general, and off camera not on camera.

So in 2003, while I was about to quit my NBC job, I got an offer from MBC. They had a game show and wanted a producer for it and I was surprised. You are hiring a producer who never work as a producer before. Big game show, it was their main show and prime time in Ramadan, very complicated.
They went 'got ahead and try it'. I tried it, and I did it. And since then I've been working as Television producer and free lancer. I constantly have projects going on with MBC on free lance basis. I worked on many programs like green apple, that's been going for five years doing the development program. I've done several cooking shows with MBC, I've done some games shows, I've done some events like hip hop, concerts and stuff like that. I also started free lancing for other stations like Al Jazeera, I've done them several documentaries, worked with Mazzika TV, F.M TV and the Egyptian TV on adaptation of American game shows formats like the pyramid game.

For how long have you been working at the AUC?

I only started last September, last fall 2009. The Adham center, constantly I am in contact with the Adham center, looking for people to work. I believe that people graduated from the Adham center or from the AUC broadcating in general, have a lot of skills, I think they are missing in the market. Posting Advertisments for jobs wanted, script writers, studio producers and so one. So always iam in contact with them. And suddenly last summer they called me up and told to reach the 339, can you do it or cant you do it. I told them I've done that before, I've done different types on teaching like teaching english for children and so on, long long time ago, so let me think about it and so on. So I was a bit, too worried and I did not know if i have the knowledge to do it. There wasnt confidence at the begining, I sat and told them what is the syllabus. They said so and so. I thought that alot of upgrading had to happen in the coursevto match with what happens in the outside. And then I thought it might be a good idea because the department and courses are mainly concentrating on nres production, and few course or none are actually concerned with TV production shows. So I thought well, let bring in some principles and things related to producing tv production programs, how to develope ideas. Wrote the syllabus.

Thank you :D
Thank you :D

No comments:

Post a Comment